January 18, 2012

Caramel Glaze Cookies

In preparation for a bridal showing, I attempted my first recipe from my cookie cookbook 1 Dough, 100 Cookies (a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law. You can find it at Cost Plus, World Market). I wanted to try the Caramel Glaze Cookies the moment I saw the picture in the cookbook. They looked amazing. Here is what I ended up with:


Beautiful, aren't they? The dough was a very basic sugar cookie dough. Flour, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt. This was the first recipe that I actually hand beat everything; no stand mixer! It was surprisingly easy and a little fun to do it differently. Plus I didn't have to haul out my mixer, which I love by the way. I made a glaze on the stovetop. It was my first attempt ever. I brushed the glaze on the cookies three times and then drew a design with a fork. I was excited when I pulled them out of the oven because they looked great!

Well, looks are deceiving. These were a total flop! I am not ashamed to say it. I am calling this whole thing an adventure, right? I think a couple things went wrong. One, I didn't let the glaze burn up enough. I later read that the sugar should be almost burnt in order to make great caramel glaze. I might have to do further reading and try various recipes before I can have any real say on how to make a caramel glaze. Second, these were rolled way too thin. That I can easily fix for next time.

Flops are ok. Mistakes happen. All you have to do is get back in the kitchen. I knew I had to since I promised to bring something to the shower. But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment