November 29, 2012

3 pies in 4 hours

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I realize that I might be a little late in posting this but I wanted to share what I made for Thanksgiving dinner. My task this year was to bring dessert and I had settled on two pumpkin pies and my favorite apple pie. I thought I had found the pumpkin pie recipe I wanted to use a few weeks ago but I wasn't completely happy with what I had so I finally decided on using the recipe from the most obvious source: the recipe from the can of pumpkin!

I used my favorite recipe for the crust (see it here). I left it in the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes which made it easier to work with. I discovered half way into making the crust that I was out of butter. I could have sworn that I had another four sticks in the fridge but I must bake too often.

Here is the recipe I followed for the pumpkin pie:

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz) Libby's Pure Pumpkin
1 can (15 fl oz) Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves in a bowl. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Now, if you want, you can add a fun leaf cut out crust. I made another pie crust, rolled it out, and cut-out several different types of leaves using small leaf cookie cutters. I placed the leaves on a cookie sheet and set it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Then I beat one egg with about a 1/2 cup of half and half (you can also use heavy cream) and brushed the pie crust with theegg wash. I took the leaves and pressed them onto the crust and then brushed them with the egg wash. I recommend doing this before you add the filling; I dropped a few and did my best to wipe off the filling. It wasn't too horrible but it's easier to do the crust first.

I really enjoyed making these pies and having the chance to get a little more creative with my pie crust. I was also really pleased with how the pumpkin pie tasted. I normally avoid eating pumpkin pie; the custardy texture of most pies just isn't my favorite. But these turned out really great and had a much different texture to them. I am not sure what the technical baking term is for that but I would say that they had more substance.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Next up: Christmas cookies! Can't wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment