June 12, 2014

An ovenless baker

It pains me to say that our oven has died. Well, it's not completely dead but out of commission. It started a few weeks ago and the oven would beep and go into setup mode. Then beep and turn off. Then beep and turn on. And so on and so on. Oh goodness, it was certainly annoying. I tried to use the stove top to make dinner and it just about drove me crazy.  I called a maintenance guy but he was booked. With our crazy schedules we didn't get a chance to take a look at it until last week. Ryan pulled the oven out from the counter and found that some of the wires had melted. Praise God we turned it off when we did because we had no idea it was as bad as it was. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if we tried to keep using it.

Thankfully we have almost everything we need to fix it ourselves. One more little piece is on order and should arrive before Ryan leaves for Brazil. Oh, update: Ryan is going to Brazil! It's a study abroad trip for his masters program and he is going to a few World Cup games. I'm really excited for him as neither of us have traveled to South America before. And come to think of it Ryan hasn't traveled internationally on his own (it's always been the two of us together) so it should be a new experience for him.

With him almost ready to leave the urgency is a little heightened to get the oven fixed. In the meantime I have been using our crock pot more. I made up a stew recipe on the fly with ground beef, onion, potatoes, and turkey stock. I threw in a bay leave, salt and pepper, and added a few tablespoons of tomato paste. It turned out pretty well. Reminded me of my shepherd's pie recipe (the shepherd's pie is better) but I was glad to have something to feed my little family of two.

As busy as life can get I actually do miss cooking. And baking. I'm already mentally planning what meal I will cook once the oven is fixed! I also have bananas in the freezer so I can make banana bread (I tried making it a few weeks ago; oven shut itself off halfway through). The plus side is that my kitchen is much cleaner which makes me feel less stress when I get home from work. So, that's something positive to focus on. Maybe since I haven't been thinking of what to cook for dinner I can work on my baking wish list. Pinterest here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment