February 2, 2012

Gadgets and Tools - Stand Mixers

I thought it would be fun to have a segment on baking gadgets and tools. My first installment is on my favorite kitchen tool - Stand Mixers! Other than my own hands I have found my stand mixer to be my most valuable tool. Every baker should have one. Not only are they super functional but they come in so many different colors that they become like an accessory for your kitchen. Having not known where we would be living after we got married, I picked out a sleek pewter grey color. I love that it's neutral and can fit into any decor I may decide to do later.

I interviewed one of my co-workers on what she likes about her mixer. Shayla has either the 4.5 or 5 quart KitchenAid Tilt-Head Stand Mixer in white. She loves that the bowl size is perfect for her household (her and two roomies) and that it is small enough to not take up too much room in the dishwasher. In comparison, I have the 6 quart KitchenAid Bowl-lift Stand Mixer. Since I love to bake loads and loads this bowl size is perfect. I can easily make a double batch of almost anything. Shayla laughed that hers would not be able to handle that; there would flour everywhere if she tried to make a double batch in her bowl. I, in turn, thought that was funny since I have flour everywhere no matter the bowl size.

Another positive on the smaller mixer is that it can easily fit on the countertop. Shayla's sits nicely under her cupboards and she doesn't have to haul it out of the pantry every time she wants to use it. You will find me, on the other hand, bending from me knees and hoisting the mixer onto the counter. However, I love the larger size because I can easily make double batches (which is a requirement sometimes. If I don't make a double batch of gingerbread cookies my husband will eat all of them with none to share with others!).

I hope these tips are helpful, if not entertaining to read. Picking out the right stand mixer for your household and baking style is really important and will make a big difference on your own baking adventure.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment