May 15, 2012

Impossibly Easy Cheesburger Pie

I'm not always one to use box mixes. I have really been trying to make as many things from scratch as I can. However, there are those days where I just don't have the time. All I want to do is get dinner done, and done fast. That is why I love Bisquick. Oh, yes, Bisquick is so much more than a pancake mix.

My mom was inspired years ago to try a recipe she found on the Bisquick box, Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie . It has become a favorite and one that I turn to every once in a while. Of course, my mother had to make some adjustments in order to cater to the more picky family members. I won't say who but I will say that I feel so blessed to be married to a man who loves melted cheese.

The title of the recipe doesn't lie - it really is that easy (fancy shamncy, all typed out recipe below). Ground beef, onion, salt, cheese, and the standard bisquick mix (the dry mix plus milk and eggs). Cook one pound of lean ground beef in a skillet. Add a small onion (chopped) and cook till softened. For the salt, I use smoked sea salt. I found it a Trader Joe's. I also use it on my roasted red potatoes. One word - amazing!

The ground beef and onions go in a pie plate, topped with a cup of shredded cheese. The Bisquick mix is poured over it and then off to the oven to bake! My husband and I like to top ours with sour cream. I think my mom likes barbecue sauce. You could even try ketchup!

There is great potential to experiment with variations of this recipe. Peppers and sausage give you a more brunch type option. Why not give it a try and let me know how it turns out? Google Bisquick easy pie for more ideas!



Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
from BettyCrocker.com


Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used smoked salt and just eyeballed the amount.)
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Instructions

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.
  2. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes until beef is brown and onions are soft. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate and sprinkle with cheese.
  3. In a small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.
  4. Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
  5. Top with your favorite condiment or leave it plain and enjoy!

Happy Baking!





No comments:

Post a Comment