March 15, 2012

3/14 - Pi day!


I made an apple pie for Pi day! I like making my pies a little different each time. This time around I just rolled the edges of the crust over after making a fork edge and it made the pie look more farmhouse rustic. I liked this version! Plus, it tasted amazing. The filling is the same that I use for Martha Stewart's Apple Crumb Pie, minus the raisins, and the crust is, of course, my favorite pie crust recipe.

Each time I make this I toss the sliced apples in a bowl with the sugar. In the end I think this makes the filling a little too juicy but sometimes that's fun to have. I use Fuji apples which, in my opinion, make the best tasting pie. I rolled the crust a bit thinner which I didn't mind too much but I think I'm going to go back to a slightly thicker bottom crust. The design in the top crust was made with a steak knife. You can probably use a butter knife. I just made little slots in the shape of a sun burst. (Tip: Always have something in the top that allows the steam to be released.) I baked this at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. Turned out great!

I brought this to share with our bible study. It is so much fun to talk baking and to learn and to enjoy sharing something made with love. I get to hear great baking advice and funny baking stories from all the ladies in our bible study. I hope to post some of their wonderful lessons here soon. I am so blessed to have great women in our group.

Here's to celebrating Pi Day and the geekiest baking day of the year! Next year, maybe I'll try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment